Friday, January 2, 2009

Heaven on Earth



I was contacted through the internet for an interesting chalk drawing job. The job was to make a chalk drawing in a kid's style, photograph the drawing, turn it into a 18 x 36 in. print. The print would then get framed and given as a thank you gift to the First Lady Janet, wife of the Uganda's President. She helped open the Miranda Memorial Academy, a children's K - 8 school in Uganda, Africa.


There is an abandoned park on the decommissioned Alameda Naval Air Base, near where I live. I have been eyeing it for awhile knowing it was a prime spot for chalk drawing.


The size of a basketball court is 94 x 50 ft. Tracy Stum was awarded a Guinness World Record for the Largest Chalk Drawing by an Individual. Her piece was 34 x 17.5 ft. I am thinking that one day, I'll have to do a larger piece on this site.

Zander, my beloved chalk dog continues to hang with me.


Last year we set a new world record for the largest chalk drawing, 6000 people, 90,000 sq. ft., two weeks, a mess of kids, a satellite photograph. Here I was chalk drawing alone for the first time and I really loved it.


Abandoned park, isolated area, my dog was off leash in a large fenced in area, hawks, trees, wind, clouds. Large ships and some of my favorite tugboats behind me working the Oakland port. Something about being alone, making art, warm day, my ipod playing Armin van Buuren, and working on a paid project, for a kid's school in Africa, and drawing on a fantastic surface. This is Heaven on Earth.





I completed the work knowing I would finish the piece on the computer in Photoshop. I moved some kids around, did a little touch up all over, printed the piece at Kinkos and mailed it off.


No comments: